August 17, 2026 12:02 PM

printer

Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma releases flood relief for nearly one lakh families

Assam Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma today released interim financial assistance to flood-affected families in the four worst-hit districts of Sivasagar, Golaghat, Jorhat and Charaideo. Speaking to media in Guwahati, Dr. Sarma said floodwaters have receded in these districts and relief and rehabilitation efforts have been intensified. He said 15,000 rupees has been released for each of nearly one lakh flood-affected families.

The Chief Minister said a rapid assessment survey is underway to assess the extent of flood damage. He said around 36,000 families have so far been assessed, with direct losses estimated at nearly 450 crore rupees.

Dr. Sarma said the assessment has so far covered around 30 per cent of the affected population. The survey will continue till August 31, and total losses are expected to exceed one thousand crore rupees. He assured that all necessary assistance would be provided to the affected families. He also appealed to people in flood-hit areas to participate in the assessment survey to ensure adequate compensation and support for rehabilitation.